Lorraine is of counsel for Millman IP.
Lorraine is a lawyer and trademark agent based in Toronto and has practiced exclusively in the areas of intellectual property, information technology and advertising and marketing law since 2005.
Lorraine obtained her B.Sc. (Honours) (Molecular Plant Biology) in 1997 and M.Sc.F. (Masters of Science in Forestry) in 2001, both from the University of Toronto. Her graduate thesis focused on agricultural tree pathology. Lorraine subsequently obtained her LL.B. from Queen’s University in 2004. She was called to the Bar of Ontario in 2005, and was registered as a Canadian trademark agent in 2006.
Lorraine assists clients of varying size with advertising and marketing, contest, copyright, information technology, licensing and distribution, packaging and labeling, privacy, trademark law and trade secret issues. Her clients are located in Canada and abroad.
Lorraine actively participates in the local and international IP community by serving on the committees and executives of various intellectual property organizations. She uses the information and experience she gains from these activities so her clients can proactively manage their IP rights. She has been an invited guest speaker and author on intellectual property topics, with a specific focus on advertising and marketing, copyright, licensing, social media and trademarks.
IP Prosecution & Strategy
- Lorraine conducts clearance searches in respect of copyright and trademarks.
- She is involved in all aspects of trademark prosecution, from preparing and filing applications through to registration. She also supervises the preparation, filing, prosecution and registration of foreign trademark applications via trusted foreign associates.
- Lorraine conducts IP due diligence in respect of copyright and trademarks.
- She also prepares intellectual property agreements relating to copyright, moral rights, trade secrets and trademarks, including license agreements.
- Lorraine represents clients in copyright and trademark infringement matters, and regularly provides infringement opinions on those issues.
- Lorraine also represents both opponents and applicants in trademark opposition proceedings, as well as parties in trademark cancellation (section 45 proceedings) before the Trademark Opposition Board.
Advertising, Marketing & Regulatory Affairs
- Lorraine advises clients on comparative advertising issues, as well as the use of client and third party IP in advertising.
- She assists clients with advertising in regulated industries, such as cosmetics and alcohol.
- Lorraine advises on the proper use of testimonials in advertising and claim substantiation.
- Lorraine also assists clients with contest, packaging and labeling, and privacy matters, including Canada's pending anti-spam legislation (CASL).